Neighborhood Wildlife 2007

Garden 2007

Front Garden 2007

Fruit Trees 2007

Side Yard 2007

House Seasons 2007

Finishing the Basement
December 2006 - Present

House Movies
September 2006

House Building: Front View
May - September 2006

House Building: Interior
May - September 2006

House Building: Exterior
May - September 2006

House Building: Design
May 2006

Vacation 2004

Harvest Festival 2004

Neighborhood Wildlife 2004

Other Connecticut Vineyards 2004

Sharpe Hill Vineyard 2004

Chamard Vineyard 2004

McLaughlin Vineyard 2004

Porch Garden 2004

Dustie's 4th of July 2004

Hers & His 2004

Spring Grooming 2004

Pumpkin Carving 2003

Some Dances 1983

Finishing The Basement
December 2006 - Present

The Basement is being finished, so that I have a place to myself.
Basically a place to play games, write music, and keep my computers and toys.
The first thing that needs to be done is to enclose the Utility area.

The person who dug the propane tank bunker helped and taught me.
He brought his truck over, so we could get the lumber and sheet rock.
It certainly wasn't going to fit into my car.

He taught me how to frame a wall.
I always wondered what "16 on center" meant.
There is pressure treated wood between the concrete and the actual framing.

We couldn't secure the walls completely to the ceiling due to the duct work.
We had to wedge the framing into the ceiling as best we could and secure each segment together.
And, we had to incorporate that support pole into the wall.

The last segment to the left is the framing of the doorway into the utility room.
In the end, the framing went relatively well.
I learned a lot.

Here is the Utility room completely covered in sheet rock.
The door is in, as is the return vent for the heating and cooling system.
There is also a new electrical outlet to the left of the vent.

It still needs sanding, more joint compound, and then final sanding.
I know it looks weird at the top, but those gaps were necessary building under the duct work.
When money permits, there will be a drop ceiling to hide the ducts and the top of the walls.

The ceiling height is planned for 88 inches off the ground.
It will definitely cover all the oddities of the wall heights.

This is the back wall (already part of the house, so I didn't have to frame it).
As you can see, it is insulated.
It looks out to the backyard.

The main septic pipe presented an interesting problem.
Part of the solution is lying on the concrete floor in front of it.

Oh I forgot to mention, this little cubby hole is currently planned to be the location of my drum set.
Who knows, eventually, I might enclose and sound proof the cubby hole to be a recording room.
Also, this is where The Wife began to help out.

She's good with the joint compound.
I guess it's like frosting a vertical cake.

Due to the solution for the septic pipe, there is no need to sheet rock behind it.
Another clue to the solution is the pressure treated wood on the ground.
Yes, I used pressure treated wood for the base of all the walls that touch the concrete floor.

The other day I had the electrician out again.
One of the things I had him do was add a light in front of the back door.

I also had him separate the light switches as you can see to the left of the door.

I did so because there will eventually be a hallway from the backdoor to the Garage door area.
This will separate my Office/Studio/Whatever room from the entry ways to the house.
You'll see what I mean in time.

Although the sheet rock goes higher than that horizontal pipe, the drop ceiling will hide the pipe.

The part of sheet rocking I found to be the most difficult was getting outlets cut in.
No matter how many times I measured, the cutouts always had to be trimmed more.
Or, The Wife had to use more joint compound because the cutouts were too large.

I really need to get window treatments in the basement to block the light coming in from outside.
Trying to get pictures without all of the light refractions is a real pain in the ass.

Here is a side view of the stairs that lead up to the Kitchen.
Obviously, I didn't frame this, but I do need to sheet rock it.

Here is a view from the opposite side.
Yes, after the sheet rock has been put up.

This is the framing around the well holding tank.

The sheet rock looks different, because it is moisture resistant.
The opposite side is actually colored green.

Here the doors have been put on.

Now we can store things in here like the garden hoses and miscellaneous gardening tools.
Eventually, the side wall can be used to hang hats and coats.

The framing around the septic pipe is having sheet rock applied as well.

Again, due to it being a section of plumbing, moisture resistant sheet rock is utilized.

Oh, and the corners are being reinforced with an aluminum molding.

This is where there will be a little access hatch to get to the piping if needed.
There is an access hatch on the other side too, as the outside spigot shutoff valve is located there.

Here is the beginning of the interior walls going up.

The walls will create a hallway to the back door from the interior garage door area.
The interior garage door area is the place where we will have our coat and shoe racks.
Also, that area will house an additional pantry at the bottom of the stairs that lead to the kitchen.
Oh, and eventually our wine racks too!

This picture shows the hallway wall from the inside of the new room (my office/studio).

Here you can see the interior garage door (white door to the right).

The sheet rock is installed on the inside of the office/studio.

So is the door.
This sure was a pain in the ass to install.

A view from outside the office/studio.

I am leaving the sheet rock off this side for the benefit of the electrician.
By doing this, it will make the installation of electrical outlets and light switches easier.

Just another picture to show that the door does actually open.
I bet you were wondering if it would, since I installed it.